Building a culture of inclusion and diversity in the Physics Division.
Physics Division IDEA Committee
The goal of the physics division Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accountability (IDEA) committee is to raise awareness of IDEA issues by sharing people’s experiences on IDEA topics, promote IDEA activities, collect and distribute IDEA resources, and beyond.
We welcome input from all of you on topics such as:
– What IDEA activities can we host at the physics division?
– What IDEA training would you like to learn more about?
– What IDEA resources will be helpful at your workplace? etc.
You are welcome to come to our monthly meetings to share your thoughts! Meetings and activities are open to everybody.
- Next meeting: June 3, 2022, Friday 12pm-1pm: Meeting ID: 994 0030 5431 Passcode: 526344
- June 10, Firday 12pm (INPA): “Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion: a how-to guide” by Rowan M. Thomson (Carleton U)
- July 28, Tuesday 4pm (RPM): “Inclusiveness Index” by S. Menendian, S. Gambhir (UCB)
- LBL IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accountability)
- Nuclear Science Division IDEA Council
- Physical Sciences Workplace Life Committee (PSWLC)
- Visible Spectrum Series (women at LBL)
- APS Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity Alliance
Hiring Process Resources:
- Managing implicit bias in the hiring process (UC training; LBL login required)
- Hiring Manager Tools and Resources (LBL) Articles, etc.
- Harvard implicit association test
- Implicit Bias Certificate Series (UC; LBL login required)
- How to evaluate IDEA statements: Slides, Video (25 min)
- LBL IDEA in action: Fostering Connections on Your Team. (Research shows that employees who feel a sense of connection and belonging
are more innovative, productive and better at their jobs)
- Rowan M. Thomson “Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion: a how-to guide”, Physics Today, Jan. 2022
- Women in physics (Wikipedia)
- Thursday, March 24, 2022: Kelly Johnson, “Talent Outreach Program 101”
Current Committee Members:
Aritoki Suzuki (Chair)