Physics Information Technology
The Physics Division has in-house IT support
Some IT support issues will require you to call the lab help desk (x4357), but for a wide variety of issues Jeff and Bryan should be the first line of inquiry. Here is a partial list of the issues they can help you with:
- Advice and assistance purchasing computers or software
- Troubleshooting and repairing computers or software
- Understanding the lab computer network, getting on wifi, conforming to cyber security requirements
- Accessing lab printers
- Retiring and excessing obsolete computer equipment
- Setting up and accessing personal webpages, group webpages, collaboration tools, computation servers, etc
- Serving as a go between for Physics personnel and NERSC
In addition we provide ongoing administration and support for many computing resources used by many different groups in the Physics Division.
- We maintain webservers and svn/git repositories for researchers of many different groups.
- We maintain high performance computing clusters for Cosmology and for the Theory Group
- We administer the servers for the Particle Data Group
- We administer the servers for DESI, providing svn, mailing lists and web sites.
- We maintain the onsite computing for the ATLAS group
- We maintain a backup system for data on the servers we maintain
- We can serve as a primary intermediary between cyber security and scientific staff
- We actively work on tracking computing assets to conform with the lab’s inventory and property tracking requirements.